Is it possible for a newly-built house to have mold? Yes, if any of the building materials were moldy, then a contamination was effectively built into the home. We have actually seen this scenario play out. We also know a homeowner who recognized mold on the framing of his house during construction and recently called us in to sanitize the wood before the construction continued. The wood in this particular
We often get calls for a classic mold remediation job caused by water damage in one area of a home and these can be caused by a single incident, such as a burst pipe or a broken water heater. And sometimes, a home contains mold from multiple water sources. That was the case with a Houston-area home we remediated: it had a leaking roof causing damage in a front room
We often stress the importance of assuring a flooded house is properly sanitized and thoroughly dried out before rebuilding. Unfortunately, we are now seeing fresh examples, a few months after the Hurricane Harvey flooding, of houses with new mold growing because the rebuild was rushed.
After Hurricane Harvey, we got a lot of calls for people wanting us to remediate their homes. As it turned out, virtually all of these homes needed restoration, not remediation. What’s the difference, you ask? Technically speaking, remediation is mold treatment in a controlled environment. A flood recovery is anything but a controlled environment. The home’s envelope is open, walls all around the structure are torn out, workers
This weekend, many homeowners will continue the process of cleaning up in the wake of Hurricane Harvey. If they have completed the demolition and removed all wet materials, they now are looking to assure the structure is sanitized and completely dried out before putting up new sheetrock.
What’s one of the worst things you can do when dealing with mold? Bleach it. That’s right, bleach is ineffective for killing mold. It superficially clears a surface, but the underlying mold is alive and well. Once the bleach breaks down, it actually becomes food for the mold! Ooops. Mold in a home or business can be harmful to humans and not just for individuals who are allergic.